What is Belka?
Belka Enrichment Center is a non profit organization aimed at developing the academic and social potential of low income and at risk youth in the inner city Jane Finch community of Toronto and other province and Territories of Canada .
Belka Enrichment Center aims at enabling children and youth of the low income and inner-city communities secure economic self-reliance, equality, power and civil rights. Belka Enrichment Center is a non religious organization with a mission to work with Children, Youth, Young Adult, Parents and Teachers in our communities. Belka Enrichment Center is a inclusive type of organization. Our communities as well as members are part of our progress.
Belka came into existence because of the great needs and the personal negative experiences of the founders in the communities around us. Some of us were beaten and molested as teachers and educators
Belka Enrichment Center is a non-profit educational agency providing after school programs dedicated to raising academic achievement levels for low-income and at-risk children in inner city areas and to encouraging them to become active, involved members of society.
Belka Enrichment began it's pilot program in the Jane-Finch Neighborhood of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. This neighborhood, one of the most dangerous and crime-ridden areas of the Province, desperately needed a safe haven in which children grades K-8 could obtain homework assistance, mentoring, friendship, and above all, protection from the dangers and negative influences they encounter in their daily lives.
Belka Enrichment Center is a member Organization of the CCI-Canada (http://www.cci-canada.ca/).
Youth, Young Adults & Seniors: Belka Enrichment Center's staff, volunteers and partners work to ensure that youth and young adults live in a safe, healthy and caring environment where everyone has access to an equitable range of educational resources and life chances.
Belka's Enrichment Center is committed to the principle of youth leading youth. Our Youth Advisory Committee is involved in the organization's decision making processes. All of its members have been trained to play leadership roles and to encourage and equip their peers and young adults to develop their leadership skills and abilities. Parents: Belka Enrichment Center's staff work along with volunteers, corporate and community partners to empower parents in their efforts to support children, the community's youth and young adults by providing programs that aim to achieve effective and successful educational outcomes.
Belka Enrichment Center's creates innovative knowledge-based programs such as mobile or local station homes where youth, ages 6 to 25 feel safe to creatively explore and build their academic strengths. Through our tutoring, homework club, parent Speaks and Media Literacy youth are taught effective reading, writing and public speaking skills.
• Improve youths' positive approach towards public speaking through our Media Literacy projects
• Improve youths' overall grade point average by 5-10% with regular attendance in the program
• Enhance leadership and mentoring skills with youth ages 15-25.
• Enhance youths' positive attitude towards post-secondary Education
• Encourage parental involvement in children academic activities or success
• To provide wider participation in local Community Crime Prevention Programs
• To continue providing Sports and Scholarship Programs
• To encourage and support youth and young adults' love of learning
• To further assist with the transformation the Jane/Finch community into a community of character
• To provide values education to youth and young adults
• To assist youth and young adults with their personal enrichment and citizenship development